It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:21 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 3 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: 270 Gyuto Still confused
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:04 pm 
Forum Moderator

Jamie, how has your reactivity experience been with your Shimo knives, especially the W#2 core steel at the edge?

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:36 pm 

SteveG wrote:Jamie, how has your reactivity experience been with your Shimo knives, especially the W#2 core steel at the edge?

Hi Steve,

I have been watching for the discoloring of the two Shimo blades since I purchased them. The 240 Gyuto has seen a bit more action than the 150 petty. Because I am so damn curious about all aspects of sharpening I have kept on hand a fair amount of onions and tomatoes and garlic as my test products and or for meals along with proteins. Since I have returned from fishing and in between trips I have played with these things most every day cutting the above product while messing with the sharpness on the Edgepro and free hand on my strops. As noted, I probably wipe my blade a bit more often than normal with a dry towel to see if I can keep the patina to a minimum on my Gyuto and Petty. So far, I have noticed about 6 small dots on each side of the blade. I previously believed this was due to not properly towel drying off the knife sufficiently after I washed them, wiped them, and set them down for a full dry of the handle. However, it looks like a few more dots developed after last night's or this morning's session where a full clean and dry was performed so perhaps I am beginning to get a new lesson on Patina creations which, like gray hair, appear to multiply like rabbits and are inevitable..... Bummer.... as I am more of a polish and chrome sort of cat.... Unless I can cultivate the George Clooney look. Like hair dye it sounds like baking soda, if I choose, will remove the said gray hairs. Does this all sound reasonable. Thank you

Jamie

Last edited by fishordie on Tue May 20, 2014 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:53 pm 

Bike and Jeff,

I just realized (After Aaron pointed it out to me along with a ton of other great info) the Kono White #2 really is a Laser at 2mm on the spine. I do not doubt that thing must be a monster of a knife while sharp and will cut through product.. Well..... Like a Laser. I may just add one of those, at some point, to my arsenal based on your recommendations and the geometry of the tool but at this time she does not fit my profile for head turning looks. Perhaps I am a bit off but I am happy with the handles and am more interested in the looks of the blade. Thank you for that great suggestion as the Kono White #2 is now at the top of my functional list of knives to purchase.

My name is Jamie and I just realized I may have a knife problem.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:19 pm 

"My name is Jamie and I just realized I may have a knife problem."

:lol:

...wrong place if you want help :roll:

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:06 am 
Forum Moderator

Jamie, let's make sure we're all talking about the same knife. They were referring to the Kono Fujiyama White #2 270 Gyuto: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/konosuke8.html.

Konosuke also makes a more plain, laser style White #2 270 Gyuto as well: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kowh2wa27.html. Completely different knife, blacksmith, construction, etc.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:11 am 

SteveG wrote:Jamie, let's make sure we're all talking about the same knife. They were referring to the Kono Fujiyama White #2 270 Gyuto: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/konosuke8.html.

Konosuke also makes a more plain, laser style White #2 270 Gyuto as well: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kowh2wa27.html. Completely different knife, blacksmith, construction, etc.

Thank you Steve. Right you are. My brain is on overdrive...

Jamie

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 3:08 am 

The Kono Fujiyamas are all clad. The Kono White #2 is not, IIRC. The White #2 is a laser, and with quite a following on this site. The Fujiyamas, being clad, are a bit thicker and heavier. I have the Fujiyama White #1 and cannot praise it enough. White #1 has a higher carbon content than Blue #2, and so takes a screaming edge that is easily touched up on a strop or a higher grit Jnat stone. It may not have the Vanadium and Tungsten of Blue #2, but in a home kitchen at least, it keeps the edge for at least a couple of months. The patina is a gorgeous rainbow of colors - or you could scrub it off with some Barkeeper's friend.

Be careful what you say about Blue #2 being in any way "superior" to White #1, or just blowing off the Fujiwara Teryasu with its 65 RC White #1 steel, or you will have Melampus smacking you upside the head with a King mackerel or something. He is, IMHO, the reigning expert on different knives, and WILL let you know his opinion.

Page 3 of 3 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3