It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:25 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: 270 Gyuto Still confused
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:03 pm 
Forum Moderator

Got it - thanks! Of course I can't speak from seeing a Fujiyama Blue #2 270 Gyuto in person, but I would be a bit surprised if they weren't ground in the same style as the 240's - which are nice and thin at the edge. Maybe Mark could take a couple of minutes to compare a couple 270's w/a 240 and compare the grinds/edge thinness for you. I'll bet he's extra busy this week w/his upcoming Japan trip, but it might be worth a shot if no one can give appropriate feedback from experience w/the 270.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:54 pm 

Fish: I have three Kono Fuji gyutos , a white #2 and blue #1 in the 240mm size and 270 mm in white#2 steel. All are laser thin coming off the edge and stay thin as they move up the blade road until reaching the thicker secondary bevel . The bevel is more dramatic on the blue steel blades and a little more gradual on the white steel. The bevel is higher on the 270 size as a result of the taller blade height . They are all top of the line blades! Just pick your steel flavor . You will be amazed at the Fuji grind and fit and finish.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:51 pm 

Bikeman wrote:Fish: I have three Kono Fuji gyutos , a white #2 and blue #1 in the 240mm size and 270 mm in white#2 steel. All are laser thin coming off the edge and stay thin as they move up the blade road until reaching the thicker secondary bevel . The bevel is more dramatic on the blue steel blades and a little more gradual on the white steel. The bevel is higher on the 270 size as a result of the taller blade height . They are all top of the line blades! Just pick your steel flavor . You will be amazed at the Fuji grind and fit and finish.

Yo Bike,

Thank you for the response. My problem is, up until the new knives I recently purchased, two of which are from White #2 and one of which is SS , I had and still have no real life experiences to know the differences between the steels you and I have noted. I have worked with metals most all of my life and know each lot of material is different from the next even with production materials. Once you get into hand forgings one cannot even imagine what the differences are that exist but I am more than willing and wanting to learn about each Smith's results using different alloys and techniques. I also realize one man's white is another man's blue so I have to find out what is best for me. Listening to those with more experience, so I have a good direction to start my research, has always been beneficial to my expediting the learning process.

So, if you were going to make a beef stew and could only choose one of your knives to prep all the ingredients, standard vegetables, onions, tomatoes, beef, etc., along with items such as garlic and other seasoning type naturals such as cilantro and green onions, which knife would you instinctively reach for first?? Yes, I am a big believer in cilantro and garlic. Kind of goes with a girl cannot be too good looking, too rich or too skinny at least for me.

Jamie

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:18 am 

If you are looking for a 270 length I would grab the white 2 Fuji that Mark has in stock with a simple Ho wood handle. That knife is a deal at $319. Compare that to the out of stock blue #2 with the ebony handle for $468. The ebony handle is heavy and adds weight to the back of the knife. The Konos run short as they are measured from the handle to the tip( not the heel of the blade to tip like other Jknives) so the 270 blade is just a hair over 10" .

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 2:33 pm 

+1 kono Fuji 270 white #2

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:44 pm 

For all purpose, I would personally take a stainless knife! But in this context, blue #2. Compared to white steel, it is much easier to guard against rust and maintains the edge better. White steel only wins out in terms of edge taking. For some, there's no need to compromise the edge with the improved utility and the edge is certainly king here. But for me, I think a B#2 is the perfect sweet spot if you want that carbon performance but don't want to babysit the knife.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:22 pm 

Bikeman wrote:If you are looking for a 270 length I would grab the white 2 Fuji that Mark has in stock with a simple Ho wood handle. That knife is a deal at $319. Compare that to the out of stock blue #2 with the ebony handle for $468. The ebony handle is heavy and adds weight to the back of the knife. The Konos run short as they are measured from the handle to the tip( not the heel of the blade to tip like other Jknives) so the 270 blade is just a hair over 10" .

Good to know the Kono's run short as the 10 inch is not that much longer than my current Shimo 240 at 10.25 from collar to tip and 9.6 along the length of the blade. So this knife is less than 1/2 inch longer blade length than the 240 Masakage Shimo Gyuto?? Thank you

Jamie

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:28 pm 

Lepus: I have had the opposite experience with the reactivity on my Kono fuji's, the carbon steel cladding is less reactive on the White#2 blades than the Blue #1 steel. Once they get a patina they settle down but the blue steel blade cladding started showing color very soon after it got wet. The blue steel blades are more polished so that might add to the reactivity. Simple care like on any carbon blade is all they need. I am using them in a home environment and I wipe them down after using. Fish:The 270 size also has a nice height to the blade for it's length. Measures over 53mm tall @the heel. The 270 has a longer flat edge at the at the heel which make it a better slicer compared to the 240 size. On the blade length it is just about 1/4" or so longer than my Masamoto 250KS. The Kono has more rocker to the blade profile. BB

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:36 pm 

Bikeman wrote:If you are looking for a 270 length I would grab the white 2 Fuji that Mark has in stock with a simple Ho wood handle. That knife is a deal at $319.
I must agree! There are many guys on this forum that can put a custom handle on it for you also should you chose and you can have a great knife with a great custom handle and still be under $500.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:00 pm 

Jeff and Bike,

My Anal-ness is getting the best of me here. I have been reading up on the differences in the materials. From the information I am getting it appears as if the White #1 used by Kono on their Fuji lineup is outstanding while the White #2 might lose an edge a bit faster yet sharpen quicker. In between fishing trips I do have time to sharpen my hopefully increasing line up of J-knives but while I am gone or preparing meals away from home I prefer an edge which will hold over time with perhaps just a bit of stropping. The blue #2 also seems to be a superior material on the Fuji line up for the same reason. I am getting the idea the blue #2 is more stain resistant as well as having superior edge holding but I am really good at keeping my blades clean, even during use, and dry so reactivity may or may not be a huge issue. Since I have had zero experience with reactivity (My 4 star Henckles were high carbon stainless and did not patina) I am not really sure. Am I missing anything here. Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions along with everyone else. I do ask a lot of questions but all of you really are helping me cut the time to learn more about these great blades and how to get the most out of my purchases.

Jamie

Page 2 of 3 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next