It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:37 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 5 of 5 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: 240mm Gyuto Recommendation?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:30 am 

Whether you get Aogami Super or #2 the exposed carbon steel will patina. My recommendation is to make your first cuts through a warm mid-rare beef roast and enjoy the deep blues that ensue. Striking against the stainless.

And if anybody asks you about your knife you can whirl around and say "Blue Steel!" while making a face like Derek Zoolander.

Cheers,

Rick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:38 pm 

Thanks for all the recommendations, I do think the Blue Steel thing would be pretty funny...

Anyhow, anyone able to comment on the fit and finish of the Sakai vs. what was mentioned in the video? If that really is it than I would most likely go with either the Masamoto or Kohetsu AG....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:04 pm 

If you put a note in the comment section when your checking out Mark will check the knife's F&F for you before it ships. He might go as far as to email you picture to make sure it passes your approval.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:12 pm 

That is a great suggestion Jeff B, I will definitely include a note about F&F since I am a bit picky in that regard. Might be helpful. Still kinda torn between the Masamoto and the Kohetsu, I do think trying the J handles might be nice....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:58 am 

Forgot to say, what do you guys think about the Richmond Addict 2 AEB-L 240mm Gyuto? This is one more knife I found that has quite good reviews and seems to be well regarded. The Richmond GT Artifex seems to be quite similar just with a "lesser" stain-less steel. Would it be worth saving the $100 and getting the Artifex? Of course I'm always up for saving some cash....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:16 am 

SolidSnake03 wrote:Forgot to say, what do you guys think about the Richmond Addict 2 AEB-L 240mm Gyuto? This is one more knife I found that has quite good reviews and seems to be well regarded. The Richmond GT Artifex seems to be quite similar just with a "lesser" stain-less steel. Would it be worth saving the $100 and getting the Artifex? Of course I'm always up for saving some cash....

The Addict is a much nicer knife with a much better steel and grinds. The GT is basically a Fujiwara with a wa handle.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:35 am 

So then, since both are basically at the same price point, which would you take, the Kohetsu Aogami Super or the Richmond Addict 2 AEB-L?

I'm leaving towards the Kohetsu personally but wondering what others think...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:35 pm 
Forum Moderator

Solid - they're both nice blades, but the Addict is a very tall knife. Just be sure to factor that into your analysis.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:26 am 

That is a good point about the Addict that I did overlook. I think I might stray away a bit from that one yet, don't really see a reason to get something super tall. My hands are average/medium or so and never felt a need to go taller...

Page 5 of 5 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5