It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:49 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 5 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: 240mm Gyuto Recommendation?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:51 pm 
Site Admin

This Takayuki closely matches your interests and budget. I think it would be a good match for you. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/sataha24chkn.html

If you wanted to try a wa handled knife this Kohetsu AS gyuto is a great knife and it's stainless clad. Care is easy. Just wipe when you're done using it. It's reactive on the edge only but it's really no problem if you wipe it. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/rikoaosu24gy.html. If I were you this would be the knife I would get. It's also under your budget.

I think it's way more educational and interesting to try different knives. You learn more about steel type and design by mixing and matching. If you want a really good petty with a western handle try the Takemura: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/takamura2.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:53 pm 
Site Admin

ChipB wrote:Oops, guess I should qualify that the Misono has a 70/30 grind. I know Korin can order lefty versions (assuming CKTG can as well) but that adds some extra cash to the cost and prob bumps it to $205.

Korin just charges more and resharpens it on the other side to even it out. At least I think that's what they do.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:19 pm 

I'll chime in and sing the praises of the masamoto vg series. I was less than satisfied with this knife at first, only to discover more recently that, once I sanded the spine and choil and got better at sharpening, the thing is a beast. Unfortunately for me, this only happened after I bought a second gyuto and started using the masamoto for only a few dedicated tasks. (I have to thank Steve's constant recommendations of this knife for helping me forget the first two years I owned it and to think more about my experiences with it since then, including trying to use it more often and playing with different sharpening possibilities.) I only have the 210, which is not as well balanced as the 240 (another frustration I had with the knife in prior years), but I think the blades are fairly similar. Since you're looking for a single, go-to gyuto, I'll also mention that I prefer the softer, more forgiving steel of the masamoto to my VG-10 knives, even though it may get duller faster (it touches up wonderfully, though).

For the price, you may be able to do better. But I have to say that, even though the masamoto is not my primary gyuto, I fall more in love with it every time I use it. It is becoming like the beat-up, indefatigable little brother I never had (I, in fact, was always the punching-bag little brother...).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:03 pm 

salemj wrote:I was less than satisfied with this knife at first, only to discover more recently that, once I sanded the spine and choil and got better at sharpening, the thing is a beast. .

Pardon my ignorance but what benefits does one gain from sanding the choil and spine?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:06 pm 

Sanding is done to round over the edges so they are not sharp. It is an ergonomics thing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:32 am 

Was about to say that i think its an ergonomics thing in regards to how the knife feels in the hand.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, really liking the last few suggestions for the takeyuki and kohetsu.

Out of curiousity, what might make either of these a better choice over something like the MAC Pro or the Masamoto VG or the Kikiuchi TKC? Not picking at your decision just generally interested since they are knives im unfamiliar with

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:06 am 

The TKC is a fantastic knife, but it's semi-stainless so it will discolor somewhat and beyond your budget, certainly if you want to save something for the petty. The Mac Pro is a decent knife, but in no way exemplary. It's a great transition knife; it's in the hardness middle ground between German and Japanese treatments and it has a lot of belly, but if you're going to do it in one knife it's not your answer. For the price you can get something more impressive.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:45 am 

Care to elaborate on the much better? Or was that one of the ones listed by chefsknivestogo? Again i question because im genuinely curious. Also, i could stretch the budget to like $210 or so, the Kikuchi isnt totally out, basically i just didnt want to go to $250 or something but a little wiggle is ok

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:44 am 

I fully agree with the multiple Takayuki knives, the Kohetsu, and the Hiromoto. They fit your parameters well and they're all made from top notch steel. The Masamoto is a good choice if you want that slightly softer knife, but you're paying a good chunk of change. For much less you could get a Fujiwara, which performs very well in a similar steel. The only knife I would add is the Kohetsu B#2 at 240mm(!!) which looks like a product of Mark's recent trip. The 210mm version has good reviews and you'd be playing with a top notch steel for a very low price tag. Really, all of the suggestions above are very safe and the Kohetsu knives are superstars.

If it's an option I would personally buy the Kikuichi TKC in a heartbeat, but it really will patina. If your price limit were to wander upward at some point I would suggest the Konosuke HH with no reservations as I've had fantastic luck with the line, but that's well beyond budget.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:56 am 

Well if you're considering the Kikuichi tkc which is a semi stainless you should also look at the Kohetsu blue #2 which is stainless clad. Only part that will change color is a narrow band along the edge but it doesn't rust. Just patina. And that looks quite nice in contrast against the stainless. It's very easy to sharpen and as a beginner with king stones you'll think you're a great sharpener just cos the blue #2 is so easy to sharpen. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kobl2gy24.html

I have the tojiro dp and I would take this over the tojiro any day.

Page 2 of 5 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next