It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:35 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: 210 kohetsu blue#2
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:10 am 

After my first day of use, I figured I'd rant n rave some of the pro's and con's for this fantastic little knife. Starting from the top, fast delivery and helpful forum insight, typical cktg experience off the bat. Knife arrived with a large polished bevel and toothy smaller bevel for a not too shabby ootb edge. Blade was straight and the only imperfection I could find was a small gap in the handle near the tang that im not too worried about. Heel and spine are slightly rounded and comfortable for me. Some people might need to sand it down but my pinch grip callous didn't even flinch as it came. I put the knife to the stones, spending time on the 5 and 8k and very easily got this thing wicked sharp. At work, first prep item was a half box of baby red potatoes, the weight of the blade pops right through so easily its unfair. The blades a little sticky on potatoes but nothing too out of the ordinary. On to mire poix, onions stand no chance to this thin little blade, I've never cut an onion this easily. Patina started showing itself around the 8th onion pretty clearly and never stank or discolored any items. Celery wasn't anything special or spectacular, but the carrots showed no wedging (except one I fd up.) On to protiens, I clearly over refined the edge and wont bring this knife to an 8k again after struggling more than I anticipated. I steeled it on a ceramic rod and once it got some teeth back the proteins were a breeze. Overall, I really like this knife so far and it is a wicked cutter that's a breeze to sharpen. Im looking forward to stone n strop experimentation to find this knifes go to edge. Thanks again to everyone that helped on the forum and all the folks at cktg.

Post subject: Re: 210 kohetsu blue#2
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:21 am 

Nice review, thanks for the write up. The Kohetsu blue line is a heck of a value.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:26 pm 
Forum Moderator

A 3-5K J Nat or synthetic is great on this blade! Rika 5K or one of my J Nats like a Hakka followed by a bare leather strop is my go to edge on many carbons! Toothy for meats, but still glides thru veggies nicely :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:46 pm 

Thanks for the review. They sound like really great-performing blades for the money--the Minamoto Nashiji is the only knife I can think of that comes in stainless-clad aogami #2 for around that price.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:31 pm 

great review, thanks.

pat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:46 am 

Yeah I really like my 210mm as well. Use it whenever I dont have room on my counter for a 240 or if I have pounds and pounds of potatoes or something as its probably my lightest knife.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:48 am 

So I've had this knife for over a week and I'd say it's broken in by now. It's lightness has become more and more noticeable and I've even been able to use it for in hand work on occasion. I've started polishing as much as I can on an 8k stone followed by 3-4 light strops on a 1.5k stone for a ridiculously sharp broken mirror edge. (For anyone else that is a ways away from affording a jnat, try this edge technique.) Its retention is fairly decent and can do absolutely everything from cutting steak tartar to shallots to carrots without any problems. The ss cladding got mysteriously scratched up and the patina is some sort of greenish grayish blue black that looks pretty wicked. This knife is an absolute steal and I highly recommend it for pro use kitchens, thanks again to everyone who helped steer me towards this knife.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:38 pm 

it's amazing how many quality affordable knives CKTG offers compared to ANY brick and mortar store i've been in. how about the blade height? any issues or comments?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:58 pm 

When it arrived I was a little surprised at how short it was, but my mid sized hands have no problem. Just enough knuckle clearance so its not an issue and I havent nicked my palm with in hand work. Perfect height for what I need it for. If you have massive oven mitt hands, you might want something a little taller.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:38 pm 

I've had mine for a couple of months now. Its a great knife. Cuts incredibly well, falls through tomatoes, potato and apples. Making the horizontal and vertical cuts while dicing an onion is effortless. Cut surfaces are smooth and glassy, the food literally just falls apart. The profile is a continuous curve which makes for a good rocker but its so sharp it grabs the board so I usually revert to push or pull cutting. Compared to my 210 tojiro it passes through food with less than half the force needed, such is the grind along with the blue #2 to take a really keen edge.

Reactivity is a non-issue. I tested after the patina formed leaving apple or orange juice after cutting the fruit for 20 mins and there was no sloughing off of any oxidation, there was also no metallic taste or smell like there was from my tojiro itk petty's iron cladding.

For the down sides. There's some stiction but that's just the nature of a thin blade and you'll have it on a knife twice as expensive if they are both as thin. I find the handle to be warm and comfortable but large for my hands, but that's just subjective, someone else could just as easily find it perfect. The fit and finish is not great, there's a gap between the pakka wood plates and the tang where it tapers before the edge of the plates. On my unit the two plates were also just under an mm off, that is the right plate ends in front of the left plate and cramping the middle finger in a pinch grip. Put it to some sand paper and managed make it more acceptable. No one else seems to have this issue so this is a one off I think. The balance point seems to be a little into the handle so makes for a handle heavy knife, I would have preferred it a smidge more forward. All these aside I still would recommend this knife whole heartedly. The handle is high and may reduce the clearance if you have big hands but I find the height just fine and there's sufficient clearance, my hands are not big.

I was considering the hap 40, AS, and takamura at the time. The takamura was OOS at the time, The Hap40 and takamura I thought would be harder to sharpen and Kohetsu AS although having identical profile and grind was more expensive and came with a Wa handle. I wanted a Yo handle cos I wanted something I could get wet and not worry about water damage or require oiling from time to time. In addition to that I was not too worried about edge holding because I strop it almost after every use, I enjoy it so its not a hassle so a blade that takes well to stropping was exactly what this is. It was a little chippy at first. I think they steep edge it came with was more suited for the AS than the Blue 2 so I increased the angle on the edge bevel a little and its fine now.

The edge visually looks like a 70/30 or 80/20. The secondary bevel was mostly on the right side and it looked like they just deburred the left side. There is a slight amount of steering but not noticeable till you cut something really tall and moderately hard. Have been wearing down the left side a little each time I sharpen and the steering is less noticeable now.

For the price this is a great knife. Nothing pretentious and its all about performance. I'm pretty sure if I bought a knife twice as expensive the incremental improvement in performance would be marginal so this is my last purchase for a while after going through 5 knives before arriving at the kohetsu blue.

A lot of people recommend the tojiro dp as a starter knife because its inexpensive and gives a great intro to J knives but I think this knife is a better intro candidate. Its ease of taking an edge, superior carbon steel, cutting ability, grind and performance will blow any beginner away. I remembered the frustration of not being able to take the VG10 on the tojiro to a hair whittling edge which I keep hearing people talk about when referring to carbon steels and I ended up buying one knife after another, at first stainless ones till I took that first foray into carbon knives. It was an epiphany. A beginner with poor sharpening skill could easily get this knife sharp and keep it sharp. If I had started with the kohetsu blue I think I would still be wowed by it a year later. My tojiro DP is now out of the knife block back in its box, I still like it but am just not using it for now.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]