It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:37 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 5 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: 210 Gyutos: Megumi vs. Anryu Hammered vs. Yuki
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:42 pm 

Great side by side comparison, Steve. This is exceptionally useful and I hope you'll have a chance to do more of them. I seriously think you might become one of the world's greatest and most experienced knife reviewers. It's a winding road, sometimes.

@cedarhouse: Haha. My jackpot list is somewhat excessive and includes a shiny little bistro to use them in. It might help that plan if I started playing the lottery.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:54 am 

Awesome to read, considering I ordered the Megumi last week and am expecting it to arrive Monday.

I had ordered it when the site still listed it as White #2, so i'm a LITTLE bummed that it's not totally the knife I was expecting -- But I'm looking forward to it all the same.

This just means that now I'll have to throw more money at Mark after spending some time looking at carbon options... ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:24 am 

cedarhouse wrote:Nice comparison. I love my Anryu but have long considered getting the Yuki. Since my biggest pet peeve is wedging, I might be inclined to apply the money to something else. Of course, when I win the lottery, they will all be mine :twisted:

+1 on the winning the lottery they will all be mine.I'm so hooked do they have a knife rehab

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:26 pm 

I had a real interest in the Megumi but finding out it is VG10 it has fell several spots on my list.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:26 pm 
Forum Moderator

@Lepus - I very much appreciate your kinds words. It means a lot. Thank you :-).

My hope is that we get some feedback over time on this Megumi line and see what kinds of true characteristics the blacksmith has imparted to the VG-10 core steel. I feel that Shun gives VG-10 a bad name among knives enthusiasts, which carries over into other, completely unrelated knives. I hope Shun never starts using Ginsan steel ;-).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:23 pm 

I am digging the Megumi. All stainless would be nice in the home kitchen, where I'm more likely to just set it down for a bit and walk away, forgetting to wipe, for instance while sweating onions. I don't mind VG10, although it is a bit chip happy.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:45 pm 
Forum Moderator

That IS the question Doug. Is VG-10 inherently prone to chipping or is the specific treatment by certain knife makers/companies that makes it chippy? I also think the fact that so many newbies and users without proper knowledge buy VG-10 knives from a variety of higher volume vendors contributes to the this notion of VG-10 being chippy.

I'm very interested to see how VG-10 holds up when used in knives like the Megumi series and also the Masakage Kiri series. I am hopeful that it proves to be a higher quality and more highly regarded steel than the VG-10 in Shun's and other more mass produced knives.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:59 pm 

Interested myself. As I've spouted ad nauseam, I think Kurosaki did tremendous work on the Shimo and am sure the the Megumi is crafted in similar fashion. If he did a solid job with the steel, I'm sure it will be an excellent knife.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:12 pm 

Valid points all. I'm not ashamed to say that I have shun knives, and actually regard them quite highly, as I've gotten years of great use out of them. Shun claims an HRC of 60+ (not very specific), and of course nobody knows how much precision or true skill goes into their heat treating, I'm sure it's probably a conveyor gas fired oven, with automated quenching baths, KAI is a large company with a whole bunch of lines of knives after all. It will definitely be interesting to see what comes out of coal forging, and skilled hands doing the quenching, and a trained eye watching the soaks.

I have a background in the American steel industry, I worked quality control at one of the US's more prominent "boutique" mills. We ran more exotic steels than the really big guys, but its not like we were making batches of under a ton, our melt crucibles held 30+ tons, and we were using a carbon rod electric arc furnace... 52100 was one of the steels that was a big deal for us at the time, because the really big mills didn't want to run the specialized tooling that the steel required to make bar stock over 1" in diameter, and under 3/8" diameter. Our 52100 was coming out EXTREMELY hard, and EXTREMELY brittle, we couldn't run standard quenched upset tests (crushing a 1" length of bar stock on the flat ends to be sure there were no laps, or scratches on the stock coming through the rod mill) because it would explode quite violently in the press, and totally mar the 1080 hydraulic press faces. When we tried to run 52100 at 1 7/8" dia. one of our presses couldn't squish it at 900 degrees F, we had to take it across the mill to the bigger press. When we would roll 7/32" (think bic pen) diameter rod, I could take a three foot piece and snap it in half like a dried up maple branch. That was an interesting bit of my career, thinking back, I probably should have just gone back to school for metallurgy and stuck with it. Two years was enough though, I decided I didn't want to work in a factory for the rest of my life. Besides, the arts suit me better, anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:12 pm 

VG-10 is popular in pocket knives, too, specifically Spydercos, which are made to fairly exacting standards. It's considered chip prone there as well, but it's quite well loved. I definitely think the steel has been marred in highbrow knife circles by association with Shun. I know I've personally written off VG-10 knives from other makers before using them and I shouldn't. Past a certain level of steel quality the smith or manufacturer always has more impact.

JourneymanDoug: That's crazy. 52100 is a pretty great steel, too. Always interesting to hear about the process. What other steels did you work with?

Page 2 of 5 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next