It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:00 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: 210 gyuto and 120 petty
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:14 pm 
Site Admin

Morning!

I find myself in the market to upgrade my current cutlery and have stumbled onto your website and I must say it's been great fun watching your youtube reviews and looking at your products. I currently have a Henckels Pro S 7" Santoku and 4" parry knife and am gravitating towards the Masakage Yuki line for a number of reasons.

I am looking at the Gyuto 210mm and the Petty 120mm

With these blades I understand my steel sharpening rod should not be used, rather a strop of ceramic rod, do you have thoughts which is better to maintain the edge been sharpening?

Thanks for any information.

--
-Dave

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: 210 gyuto and 120 petty
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:16 pm 
Site Admin

I love the yuki. I encourage you to try them out. It's one of my favorites in the store.

Your rod will most likely work on this knife as long as it's not too aggressive. If it is coarse you might want to switch to a ceramic rod and I like the Mac Black rod as well as the Idahone in that order.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:07 pm 

As long as you stroke the knife on the steel and not bang it like you see in chefs demo's you should be fine. A few light sweeps is all you need. There is no reason to strike and stroke the knife like crazy.

You should be aware that Yuki knife is not fully stainless. The edge will react because it is carbon the rest of the blade is stainless. So it's almost non reactive. Just be sure to wipe the blade clean and not let it sit wet too long and you will be fine.

If you want to try a beautiful fully stainless knife look at the Kikuichi. It's not only pretty to look at, it's one heckuva blade.

I don't think you will have any regrets on the Masakage purchase. It's going to make the Wustof feel like a cheap novelty movie prop. The low weight of the Japanese knife will require an adjustment period. It's like getting a nimble sports car. The blade will be so easy and effortless you'll wonder what is going on.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:25 pm 
Forum Moderator

Dave - I don't think you can go wrong with the Yuki series. I have the 210 Gyuto and its a GREAT knife! I have handled the Yuki, Shimo, and the Koishi series and I think the Yuki is still my favorite for looks, lower maintenance, and performance for the price. I use an Idahone fine ceramic on my Yuki and it works great as Umberto stated - if you use very light strokes and not too many per side. You can even use the sharpie trick to make sure your hitting the edge bevel correctly with the ceramic rod. I would definitely get a ceramic rod or a strop set vs. a standard grooved steel.
I've had my Yuki for over 9 months and between playing with the Idahone and stropping, I haven't needed an actual sharpening yet in a home environment - granted I'm pretty easy on my edges and I don't use the Yuki for hammering through hard squash, cutting chocolate, frozen foods, etc. etc. etc.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:52 pm 

Congrats Steve...The Yuki is really a great buy in the Masakage lineup. I saw one first hand in San Francisco at a high end cutlery store. I was pretty much in awe...My budget was tighter than I had hoped so I went with the Kohetsu that I really enjoy too.

Some people just seem to insist on banging the steel...I don't get it. One chef taught to simply slide the knife across the steel a few times on each side...Lightly, no stroking no crazy motions. He said if the edge doesn't cut straight after it's time for a touch up on the stone.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:52 pm 
Forum Moderator

Another option is to use a high grit stone to strop in lieu of a honing rod. If you're making a purchase in this category and need a higher grit stone, and want to limit expenditure, getting a high grit stone kills two birds with one purchase. You get the high grit stone to sharpen on and can strop with it not unlike a honing rod.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:46 pm 
Site Admin

It helps if you have a splash and go high grit finisher if you want to use the stone for touch ups. I'm pretty sure Adam uses a 10K Naniwa superstone. When I have my ohira natural at home I do the same thing but it's usually down at the office these days.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:56 pm 

I would not use a grooved steel on any knife. I have an Idahone fine that I use the most for touch ups but have been playing with a few different strops lately for the fun and experience of it.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]