It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:21 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: 1923 nogent sabatier and Arkansas stones
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:21 pm 
Forum Moderator

Their were some questions in my email box last nite thinking it wouldn't be sharp enough with just Arkansas sharpening up to a translucent, you be the judge. Peace jmbullman

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z41 ... 0bbfbd.mp4

Post subject: Re: 1923 nogent sabatier and Arkansas stones
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:19 pm 

Sweet!! See, old CAN be good........... :mrgreen:

Rich

We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........

Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:31 pm 
Forum Moderator

Rich as I get older and all this Chinese cheap stuff is coming In, I believe older is better. We were at a swap meet a weekend or so ago and besides the people selling cutco (yuck) their were people selling knives that looked so close to globals and shuns I couldn't believe it and unless you know what you are doing you would be hard pressed not to think they weren't, best clones I have ever seen, and if the market gets flodded with those I can here it now "what do you mean you can't sharpen my shun I paid 25 dollars for it at the flea market and the foreign lady behind the table said they were authentic". It's going to happen to one of us soon, probably me. I have seen the zhen knives on amazon saying their vg10 and a 10 inch chef is only 69 dollars but it also has Taiwan stamped on the back of them. Does anyone or has anyone seen or attempted to sharpen one yet? Peace and get ready for the counterfeits! Jmbullman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:28 am 

I bought the Damascus zhen nakiri and santoku from japanwoodworker.com. returned them because both are bent and twisted from movement after heat-treat (so far I haven't seen one without more or less this problem, including a really nice miyabi 6000mc gyuto) and overall too heavy for my taste. the grind is very good (no taper along the spine though) and the handle ergo is awesome for my push cutting and chopping. I never used them so can't comment on sharpening although I don't know how they could differ from any other VG10 (they say imported from Japan and made in Taiwan). my understanding of the factory made VG10 knives are pretty standard issue with similar equipment and computer controlled heat treat.

I later bought a zhen vg10 paring knife with rubber handle for $17. very good grind and laser thin but have multiple bends. I hammered it straight and sharpened at a bit higher angle (18?) and love using it

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]