It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:04 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: 180-200 mm petty/min-suji
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:32 am 

I am looking for a petty or a mini-sujihiki (a meat slicer) of about 180-200 mm. It should be thin and narrow. I've found a Konosuke on this site. Are there any other options? Or other recommendations/things I should think about? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: 180-200 mm petty/min-suji
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:45 am 

A little more costly than the Kono but they are thin and narrow. Suisin Inox Honyaki
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/suinhope21.html
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/suisinpetty.html

I have the Konosuke White #2 Petty 210mm. Very light and thin.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:56 am 

May I ask why the mini-sujihiki versus a full sujihiki? usually you have a longer knife for slicing meat.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:22 am 

Takeda makes a nice one. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tayaas21.html
I have this one in the 275 length. However it is also quite a bit more. The ones Jeff listed are good too.

I would have to agree that a konosuke probably fits this bill the best. They are very nice knives and you can choose your steel. The hd steel is hard to beat. It's about as thin as your going to find. High level of fit and finish on these knives as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:20 am 
Forum Moderator

MARK <> The Suisin IH is an absolutely superb piece of craftsmanship; to date, their Gyuto is my favorite overall single knife though there are a few nipping at its heels. It is priced commensurately, as well. The Konosukes are just so close & so damn good... it boils down to price point & personal preference. Notes: Konos have smaller diameter Wa's, and the Suisins have much better F&F on their sayas.

"Things to think about," the point the Lunatic raises about size might apply to you depending upon what you're actually using the knife for. You type parenthetically about a meat-slicer though you never say you are buying a knife to slice meat... nor what meat if that were the case.. or where. If you are slicing chicken breasts, sandwiches, single steaks... chit like that at home, a 180-210 is up your alley. If you're slicing roasts, turkey breasts, large fish filets, and things of that nature, consider, as the Lunatic alludes to, a 240-270mm.

Another competitor in this fight is the Richmond Laser<--link offered in AEB-l stainless-steel. It runs $15 less than the Kono HD of which I prefer steel wise, but it looks in the picture a bit shallower at the heel so you may prefer the profile though I do suspect its the 180 in the photo which would skew the proportion.

For $5 less the reactive steel Konosuke W#2<--link is a veritable badass lightweight capable of sickening edges.

Lotsa choices partner, but as usual, we know very little about you thus far & recommendations are sort of cursory. We do the best with what information you proffer. Feel free to keep the questions flowing...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:39 pm 
Forum Moderator

The 210mm wa-petty I have from Suisin Inox Honyaki is among my most used knives. Great, great knife....but spendy.

At the time I bought it, though, there weren't many options. Today there are and I'd probably try the Richmond Laser at $75 less. Money no object...I'd get the Suisin.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]