It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:34 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: 150mm petty: 1 @$200 - 1 @$125
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:40 pm 

Ok I'm in the market for a $200 Utility knife for my mom here is my 3 choices first is Takamura Migaki R-2 Petty 150mm, second Maruyoshi HD Petty 150mm - 6" and last but not least Fujiwara Nashiji 150mm Petty Octagonal Handle any recommendations from are fellow expert members or maybe something different . Actually i need 2 of the utility knifes but the second one i can only go as much as $100 to $130 this one is for a friend a first one would be for my great cook mom. And this is what i had in mind for my second choice of knife under $100 first one is Kohetsu Aogami Super Petty 120mm, second Anryu Kurouchi Suminagashi Petty 150mm and last one would be Tanaka Damascus Petty 150mm little over budget but i sacrafice $ 20 to $30 for a better knife and i would put that one too Hiromoto Petty Knife 150mm

{mod note:melampus moved}

Post subject: Re: Utility knife to complement Kikuichi TKC
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:01 pm 

The Fujiwara Nashiji 150mm Petty is probably one of the best deals on the site to me. One of the best petties on the market at a very reasonable price. The biggest problem is when it might be back in stock.

Beyond that I like the Takamura and then the Tanaka best out of your choices.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:16 am 
Forum Moderator

Tom, you should look at the Masakage Mizu 150 as well. Anryu is the blacksmith on these as well.

For me, most 120 Pettys are in no man's land - too long for a true in hand paring knife and too short for true utility versatility.

Decide if you want a shorter 150, more utility style, or if a taller 150, more like a mini Gyuto is to your liking. They handle very differently, both in hand for peeling stuff and on the board.

How do you anticipate these will be used by the recipients?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:45 am 

Yes now that i compared 120mm to 150mm i definitely will go with 150mm question is which ones i think Masakage Mizu 150 will be a good choice and sweet price for my friend and my mom it's either Fujiwara Nashiji 150mm Petty or one of these two Takamura Migaki R-2 Petty 150mm and Maruyoshi HD Petty 150mm i really like Fujiwara Nashiji 150mm but wold like to compare them to Maruyoshi HD and Takamura Migaki but i can't that's why i ask for opinion i know some of you might have more than couple of these knifes in your kitchen me i'm a newbie waiting for my Takamura Gayto . Thank you for some answers guys you knife rebels.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:22 am 

I might be a bit green in terms of JK and nowhere near as skilled with a blade as the other posters here, but from your description of use, i.e. general cutting, the 210 TKC will take care of it all. Really, really small gyuto in the hand and incredibly maneuverable. Unless the extra few MM of blade height is really going to throw you off (which it shouldn't for most chores as the TKC is a relatively short blade), don't bother with a 150MM unless you plan on decorative rind peels or really intricate tip work. In which case you should probably size it down an inch or two. Just trying to save you some coin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:43 am 

Sorry, didn't realize last post wasn't from the OP

Post subject: Re: 150mm petty: 1 @$200 - 1 @$125
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:17 am 
Forum Moderator

T0M <> Regarding your recommendations, I've addressed this topic ad nauseum, but they're all different heights/profiles. A quick point is this: when you buy a knife you have to know what you want it to do. A short petty has limitations in versatility that a taller petty does not. Choose by profile first & foremost...

$100-ish...<--link.

$200-ish...<--link. Mine has a very versatile height around 33mm, and the Wa has a small circumference which is perfectly relative for the whole... aka: better ergonomics. The heat treat is a perfectly durable Hrc62. I am a huge advocate for Kanehiro knives.

{reference <--link}

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:09 pm 

I think you're convincing me to go with the Kanehiro Ginsan 150mm Melampus. The more I think about it the more I see the need for that height. As the prices for the Ginsan and the Aogami Super steel are pretty much similar (the Ginsan is now more expensive for some reason), any reason to choose one over the other?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:15 pm 

Well i made my decision on what to buy ok for my mom i will go with either Kohetsu Aogami Super Petty 150mm http://www.chefknivestogo.com/koaosupe1 ... 53SKvldWzs or Tanaka Damascus Petty 150mm http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tadape15. ... 53UvfldWzt can some one compare these 2 and for friend of mine i need little advice between these two knives 1- is Kohetsu Blue #2 Nashiji Petty 135mm http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kobl2pe80 ... 53F1fldWzs and this the one i like 2-Dojo Hayashi Petty 135mm http://www.chefknivestogo.com/dojopetty135mm.html. My question is what would be a difference between Dojo Hayashi and Kohetsu Blue #2 -regarding maintance and keeping the blades sharp ?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:27 pm 
Forum Moderator

Tom, check out new arrivals. The Tanaka VG-10 Damascus 150 Petty would be a nice SS option.

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next