It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:30 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: 150mm petty: 1 @$200 - 1 @$125
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:35 pm 

Waht makes that The Tanaka VG-10 Damascus 150 different from Kohetsu Aogami Super Petty 150mm and Tanaka Damascus Petty 150mm San Mai Blue #2 ?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:08 pm 
Forum Moderator

ROBENCO <> The obvious reason is G3 <--link is "stainless" while Blue Super Steel <--link is reactive, albeit laminated with a stainless jigane in the exemplar 150KanehiroAS. Which do you want, fully stainless blade or a stainless laminated reactive blade?

Beyond that, there are aesthetic differences between the two… at least on mine, there are. I am speaking off memory, but I think it was CGUARIN, whom said they were identical. I AM SPEAKING from memory here, I don’t know if he was talking profile only, but the difference I see between my AS’s & G3 are the handles whereas the AS looks like a Cherry & the G3 looks like magnolia.

Furthermore, I will reiterate to the listening audience… these are handmade knives.. the stats that are listed on the site mean jack diddly squat. E.G., my 150KanehiroG3 is 33mm tall while the site lists @30mm; my 240KanehiroAS is 53mm tall while the site lists @51mm.

TOM <> In comparing the Sekiso <--link to the Kohetsu AS <--link:

#1: You have a fully reactive blade in the Sekiso with a B#2 hagane & iron jigane compared to stainless-clad reactive core steel in the Kohetsu. These knives require a markedly different attention to care in use.

#2: The Sekiso is a taller knife that will therefore exhibit a considerably different personality than the Kohetsu.

#3: The Kohetsus have a unique sweep to them that brings the tip relatively high to wa-centerline, for my taste, and in a comparative context I must raise the point ;) as the Sekiso has a much lower tip.

#4: Although both knives have little belly, per`se, their profiles are quite different. The Kohetsu, again, has a very unique sweep that although has a quite smooth radius, it also exhibits a more upward reaching angle in relation to the handle whereas the Sekiso’s edge is flatter, in the sense of parallel to wa-centerline. I have used neither line in said iteration (i.e., 150mm petty), but I guarantee this extrapolation from profile analysis is spot on.

Case in point… I would buy the Sekiso as an all-around do anything utility knife whereas I would buy the Kohetsu if I were only doing simple residential stuff like cutting sandwiches, slicing cooked proteins, portioning raw proteins, cutting fruit, etc., etc., etc. That said, fully reactive as to stainless-clad is a HUGE difference that negates the simplicity of this point… albeit due to a different premise.

In reply to your question about “maintenance” & maintaining the edge on the Kohetsu <--link as to the Dojo <--link, I assume you are aware these are both reactive steels partially laminated in stainless. They are still reactive haganes which are exposed at the final bevel which still require the same care a fully reactive blade requires, but in this case, only on a very limited portion of the blade. Overall this affords a lesser demand on your attention, but still requires your attention… just to less of the blade.

In regards to maintaining the edge on Blue #2 steel as to Blue Super Steel, there would be no difference as to how. You would respect the edge during use, and once deformed enough to warrant minor attention, you can hone the blade on a myriad of options such as your finishing stone, any of the numerous bench strop substrates, or even newsprint or cardboard… this is a topic in of itself.

If deformed enough to warrant major attention, you can sharpen the blade via a myriad of options with a progression dependent upon aforementioned deformation. Both of these tangents are topics in of themselves, but an extremely versatile & competent set as a suggestion would be this 5-piece set <--link. I could craft a progression that is more suited to my preferences, but as is listed on its description… it’s a great set for a starter.. the 1,200 & 5k in that set are truly stellar stones IMO.

And lastly, you ask about the Tanaka VG-10 <--link. Again, I haven’t used one, but the example pictured is the tallest of this bunch, it is totally stainless, and it has the bulkiest emoto (neck) of the bunch. I have zero experience with Tanaka-san’s VG-10 offerings, as I tend to lean towards other alloys when purchasing stainless knives. This is not to discount said blade, I’m just offering full disclosure.

One thing I will add regarding the Tanaka’s is this, it does not seem as of you have utilized the Forum’s search feature, but if you do, you will undoubtedly find negative sentiment directed at their wa-handles. I was one to have shared that sentiment, but after using more of their knives, I have found that they have a wide range of handle finishes as well as overall fit & finish. I can now say that I have owned Tanaka wa’s in which required sanding to improve grip & F&F to my standards, and I have owned them that I loved OOTB, as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:25 pm 

Well Melampus all that info is like reading a short story book ,thank you for taking you time and explaining the differences in each knife and their construction, well after reading this post i'm confused with the steel factors. Ok i think i did my homework now i know what i want for sure this is the 1st one i get Moritaka AS Petty 150mm and second is Tanaka Damascus Petty 150mm and thats it i hope they enjoy their gifts.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:37 am 

Tom,
I have to ask, and I held back on asking after your initial post. Are you typing this on a phone? The lack of punctuation and run on sentences make for a very difficult read. With that said, I hope your mother and friend enjoy their knives. Please let us know how they work out.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:54 am 

yes it is my BlackBerry and i have been learning English only 2 yrs so , apologize for my grammar , but learning new language at the age of almost 40 is not easy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:06 am 

I thought it rude to ask if English was your first language. Outside the punctuation you have the grammar down pretty well so you should feel proud.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:10 am 

snipes wrote:Tom,
I have to ask, and I held back on asking after your initial post. Are you typing this on a phone? The lack of punctuation and run on sentences make for a very difficult read. With that said, I hope your mother and friend enjoy their knives. Please let us know how they work out.

The last thing we need is the grammar police around. We all make our share of grammar and punctuation mistakes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:25 am 

Jeff B wrote:

The last thing we need is the grammar police around. We all make our share of grammar and punctuation mistakes.

Agreed, but when the writing is so poor that the poster can't be bothered with using periods I'm going to say something as in many cases it equates to laziness and a general lack of respect for the reader. The general understanding of the English language in this case made me think that was the case, rather than someone who is just learning English. Tom's grasp of the language is respectable for someone starting to learn it and he should be proud.

My written French is very poor these days, but regardless of the language I know when to use a period. That is just common courtesy in my book.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:45 pm 

Jeff B wrote:

Thank you JeffB

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2