It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:35 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: 10K stone?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:36 pm 
Site Admin

Greetings Mark,

I want to buy sharpening stones, which one do you recommend?
I use Naniwa 400, 1000, 5000 grit. I'm interested to buy the 10k one, is it necessary?

Best Regard

W.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: 10K stone?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:42 pm 
Site Admin

I feel like the grinch but I don't think it's necessary to have a 10K stone but it depends entirely on what you're sharpening and what kind of edge you like and if you want to produce a mirror finish.

For kitchen knives I usually do most of my work on the low and medium stones and very little on a higher grit stone just for a little refinement. I will often finish my stone work with some light stropping on a 5K stone which you have followed by a few light stropping strokes on some horse butt. I like the edge that this produces for kitchen knives.

If you're doing razors I think you could justify using higher grit stones like the chosera 10k followed by a few strops to really make that edge slick so it pops hair.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:28 pm 

I have an 8k that I only use when I want to play, I wish I had saved the $100 to put towards another knife. 10k is WAY overboard for a kitchen knife.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:21 am 
Forum Moderator

I think Mark has it pretty much spot on. It depends on WHAT you are sharpening and your personal preferences.

If you are using softer steel knives 5k is more than enough. Something even a bit lower is more than adequate.

If you want a toothy type edge something like an Aoto works quite well for this range of edges.

Personally I prefer good kitchen knives to be at least an 8k edge. It's why you are paying for a good knife so why have a mediocre edge on a great knife. A favorite 8k stone is the Naniwa 8k Snow White - perfect after the 5k Chocera.

You can go to a strop after your 5k stone with compound for maintaining your edge. A more aggressive compound like 1.5 micron CBN works well here - equal to a 12k stone or if you want something a bit coarser, consider the 2 micron Boron Carbide on a balsa strop - equivalent to an 8k stone.

---
Ken

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]