It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:26 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: $100 Well Spent
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:28 am 
Forum Moderator

I have a decent selection of knifes from high end to low end and I find myself reaching for my Richmond cleaver more and more. I have yet to find something I can't do with a cleaver from basil to breaking down large proteins, I actually consider my cleaver indispensable in my kitchen plus it also serves as a built in scoop off the cutting board. I personally will explore higher end cleavers when the money straightens out maybe one of marks newer ones with the flatter profile alias I sold my cck1303 after flattening the bulge or roundness out of it to upgrade to something else I wanted. For the most part I agree with eamon.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:42 pm 

All right, decision has been made and order has been placed. The thought of a cleaver really intrigued me, so I decided to go with Eamon's suggestion and purchased the CCK1303. I wanted a nice handle, but Mark was out of stock and since I have never used a cleaver before, I figured the stock handle would have to do . . . however

Since I was way under budget, I decided to go with the bread knife too for a total of $102.50 (within accepted tolerances of budget) and therefore left the opportuntiy for a petty later . . . Thinking about selling my very sharp and good condition Calphalon set. It is a nice set for a home cook and I have really enjoyed them, it is just time for me to feed my sickness (thanks Mark) and upgrade . . .

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:03 am 
Forum Moderator

BBOY <> Image

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:02 am 

Heh, I bought those two things together a few years ago. It was a great purchase!

Go to the store and get some Barkeeper's Friend. The CCK1303 takes some ugly patina on it for a little while, and has some kind of coating on it. It'll stop after a while. It just patinas a yellowish color because of the sulphur content--if it's not red, its not rust.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:12 am 

Eamon,

Talk to me about the Barkeeper's Friend. I bought some today, but I take good care of my knives and I don't think rust will be a problem. Of course, rust happens . . . so maybe it is inevidible. I saw that the cleaver has a laquore finish, are you suggesting that I remove that when I receive it? Expound on the Barkeeper's Friend a little, please.

I do also have some automotive polish, the Flintz that Mark sells and another one (literally from AutoZone).

Thanks,
Troy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:19 am 

Short answer:
Rub it on a wet knife, the rust goes away, patina stays behind.

Long answer:
It is a powder containing Oxalic Acid and it is activated by water. Just get the knife wet, and then dump some BKF on it. rub it around a bit to make a paste, and smear it all over the blade. Then wait a few seconds, like 20. Then rub it with a damp cloth/paper towel. Then rinse in HOT water very thoroughly. It will clean off any rust and most colorful patinas and leave a dull gray patina behind, which is good for building a solid protective patina.

If you are overly cautious, you can then follow up with a little baking soda on the knife and rub it down with that and rinse it off--it will neutralize the BKF if there is any residue in little cracks(like maker's marks) and prevent it from forming any rust of it's own.

Anything short of pitting, BKF will clean it off without stripping the patina bare. If you follow up with polish, you can make it shiny again, but it will continue to try to rust, and a well-set patina will not rust very easy at all.

If you force a patina with mustard or something, I like to hit it with BKF between treatments. Helps to remove any residue and show me where the patina is really set.

Oh, and the black part of the CCK is not what you are trying to take off. You will notice as you clean it that it looks like you are scrubbing off a thin, clear film. If you don't strip it, it will wear off into your food, and you'll be like "this knife doesn't rust easy at all!" and then it will expose a patch or two of steel and it's super reactive all of a sudden, and you feel like your knife is going through puberty. Just scrub the coating off and be done with it!

I often skip the towel and rub the BKF with my fingers, it gets the swarf out of my nails and finger pads.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:01 pm 
Site Admin

I should sell Bar Keeper's Friend just for those that can't find it locally.....

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:40 pm 

Mark, it is probably not worth your time . . . i picked up an Ajax-sized can of powder for around $1.50 at Home Depot (they sell a soft-scrub like gel too) . . . But then buying a case and offering it at a little bit of a profit to make it easier on your customers doesn't sound like a bad plan either.

Just opened my birthday package today and man that bread knife is really something! I am also thinking about how I want to approach that cleaver too. I am thinking that the primary bevel may be a bit too scratchy . . . might have to pull out the stones . . . It was very sharp otb.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:46 am 

I am not sure there is anywhere that BKF is not available. It's actually the super-available cousin of what we used on out Sabatiers when I was a kid--Bon Ami.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:54 pm 
Forum Moderator

EAMON <> Are you saying it cleans swarf from your hands - well? I have never found anything that works, and would be totally stoked if this is the solution!

Page 2 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next