It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:15 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: 10 in the works, plus 2 saya's...
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:12 am 
Forum Moderator

Yup, 10 going at the SAME TIME! Yikes! One is a stacked handle of Ivory Paper Micarta Ferrule, with a multi spacer of Silver M3 around another thinner piece of Ivory Micarta, then Black Linen Micarta handle with a silver M3 and Ivory Micarta end cap. 2nd Wa is a Bog Oak, Mamooth Tooth spacer/Curly Walnut handle, 3rd Wa is a Honey Horn ferrule, 5 layer spacer of Red liner and Silver, Buckeye Burl handle and a 3 layer spacer of red liner and silver and a honey horn butt cap. Then I have 7 westerns, all with liners and mosaic pins!

These are the 7 western handles with the liners epoxied and curing! 3 are Giraffe bone, one is Stagalike from Masecraft, 2 are blue burls and 1 is Black Tiger Maple:

I will get some pics of the other handles later this week. One saya will be Wenge and the other Black Paper Micarta to go with the ivory Micarts/Silver/Black Micarta handle.

Post subject: Re: 10 in the works, plus 2 saya's...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:04 am 
Forum Moderator

6 westerns with mosaics, epoxied to the tangs:

Honey Horn (real stuff!) and Buckeye Burl for a Wa with the spacers of Red/Silver/Red (spacers are epoxying), and the Bog Oak, Mamooth Tooth and Walnut handle and then the Ivory Micarta, Silver M3 and Black Micarta handle roughed out in various stages:

Micarta handle. This one was a total PITA to make. The Ivory Micarta Block I used for the ferrule piece acted very stangely. It smeared, melted, pitted and clogged even a 36 grit sanding disc! The ivory Micarta scales I used for the other Ivory Micarta pieces worked fine??? Different suppliers, different recipes I guess! I had to do a lot of hand sanding since anything over 120 grit was useless on a belt sander, so I spent a good bit of time on 120 grit sandpaper and worked up to 1200 grit.

What it will look like on the Kono 270mm Fujiyama Blue #2:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:34 am 

Damn you've been turning out some nice stuff lately Tim! :ugeek:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:23 am 

10! that's impressive. I love your filing method of the painter's tape! Great job as usual Tim. Love the PITA handle.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:31 am 

That handle does, indeed, look like a PITA. Great results, though.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:38 pm 
Forum Moderator

Just needs a few more coats of finish! Black Paper Micarta saya, basswood spacer in the saya and the Ivory, Silver M3 and Black Linen Micarta handle:

7 Westerns nearly done, gotta do the final check out and make sure they are good and then do the oil finish; these are off of the buffing wheel. The Imistag handle needs a few small voids in the bone sealed and then refinished.

I still have a Buckeye Burl Wa with Honey Horn and Silver/Red spacers, the Walnut/Bog Oak/Mammoth tooth handle to do as well as a few other orders that have come in recently. I had some issues with my hand (carpal tunnel??) where it was getting tingly and going to sleep if I worked on handles too long. Westerns seem to do this more since it is more finger use than the Wa handles and I worked on a lot of Westerns in a big batch, so it was constant finger stuff. This started to happen when I rode a mtn bike at work for Bike Patrol and the bike was a poor fit for me and also from the rod building dealing with tiny threads constantly. So I gotta do smaller batched and give my hands some rest between knives!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:30 pm 

I love tat micarta handle! Bad ass

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:36 pm 

Man, that a lot of eye candy! The western handles are all great looking and the black Micarta and ivory Wa handle on the Kono is stunning! It has a black tie formal tuxedo look to it. Bill B

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:53 am 

Tim, I'm seriously considering sending you a knife and just asking you to do whatever you felt like. Your designs seem to be getting better and better.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:37 pm 

Welllllll, doggies! Thats some fine work. I hate it when you post these. Gives me evil thoughts to spend money!

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next