It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:30 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: 10" Chef knife wanted.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:20 pm 
Site Admin

Hello,

I am looking to add a ten inch chef's knife to my collection. I'm interested in a heavier version, and am looking at Wusthof Classics, the Messermeister, F Dick 1905, and the Tojiro DP. Any thoughts on weight or pro/cons would be appreciated.

I already own Wusthof classics, and numerous Japanese knives. As such I am more interested in relative comparisons as opposed to overall style explanations.

Thanks in advance, and please let me know if it is easier to call.

Matt

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: 10" Chef knife wanted.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:46 am 
Site Admin

I prefer the German stuff without the finger guards so my first choice would be the wusthof ikon. They have excellent fit and finish, have some heft and hold an edge pretty well compared to the F Dick and Messermeister. They also have 15 degree bevels on the edges now so they perform better than in years past when their bevels were slightly north of 20 degrees on each side.

I think you should consider the Masamoto VG. It's a good knife with enough heft and it's a better performing knife than the above group. The steel is a little harder but not much and it holds an edge better. I love that knife as a German replacement.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: 10" Chef knife wanted.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:02 pm 
Forum Moderator

+1 to what Mark said.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]